Propagating 'etoile rose'

jxa44February 28, 2009

Hi all,

i found and purchased seeds of clem. 'etoile rose' in the EU. i received the seeds today, but the cultivation instructions aren't very helpful to me.

Can someone please provide me with growing "do's and don'ts". I am going to grow these seeds outside in a seed tray.

many thanx,

joyce

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Joyce, just realize that Etoile Rose is a hybrid and won't come true from seed. The plant might look similar to Etoile Rose or it may be entirely different. Either way, what seedlings you do get from the seeds should be called seedlings of Etoile Rose and not Etoile Rose. Rather than attempt to write a treatise on growing clematis from seed, I am going to direct you to a site that will provide what you need to know. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis from Seed

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 9:11PM
jxa44

thanx nckvilledudes,

for those of you wanting to follow instructions, link is posted below to growing instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing clems from seed

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 9:43PM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Joyce, one other way to grow clematis that is being used by people these days is to take sandwich baggies, place vermiculite in them (say 1/4 cup or so), wet the vermiculite slightly with water, and then drop your seeds in the baggies with the moist vermiculite. Keep the baggies out of direct light so the seeds don't bake. Being a viticella, you might want to expose the baggie to alternating periods of cold and warm temps. to help speed germinations. Some clematis seeds don't need this warm/cold treatment to germinate while others do. Also, some clematis will put out roots and top growth almost simultaneously while others will put out roots first and then the top growth will come out later, after a few weeks to a few months, and may require cold treatment to get top growth. I germinated clematis addisonii this way and when the roots developed I potted some up in potting soil and am still waiting for top growth. Some I left in the vermiculite until top growth occurs and then I will plant them.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 9:24AM
jxa44

thank you nckvilledudes -- this way of propagating also should eliminate damping off. I'll give it a try.

joyce

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™