Plant clematis root now?

tammyinwv(z6/WV)February 27, 2010

I just bought a Clematis "betty Risdon" root from Walmart bagged in peat. I can see about 2" of new growth on it in the bag. We are having lots of snow right now, and temps around 20° and up. Can I go ahead and plant it out when the ground clears some, or should I wait? If I need to wait, what should I do with it for now? I dont usually buy plants this early.

Tammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I would plant it in a pot and let it grow some before transplanting to the garden.

    Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 11:31PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Montana grandiflora frost protection?
Greetings ... I recently moved from relatively frost...
rovenorth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™