can clementis grow in partial shade?

tinylady(07 NJ)February 25, 2006

I want to put in a arbor and have clementis on it, but the area is partail shade. Does any variety grow in that kind of atmosphere?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob414(USDA 9, Sunset 15)

The chalk hill web site has a list of clematis that will grow in partial shade. I have a hagley hybrid that is partly shaded and it does very well. I picked up a carnaby a couple of years ago and read that it fades badly in the sun so I have it in a spot where it is completely shaded during the day and gets about an hour of the last sunlight of the day. Here's a picture. You can see the trunk of the tree in my neighbors yard that shades it all day.

Bookmark   February 25, 2006 at 10:15PM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Bob...How Stunning!!..Jeanne

Bookmark   February 26, 2006 at 7:50AM

Thanks Jeanne. It's been a pleasant surprise. One of those picked up for a bargain at a big box store. I wasn't sure it would do anything in this spot.

Bookmark   February 26, 2006 at 10:04AM
catherinet(5 IN)

Hi Tinylady,
I'm no expert, but in my searching for one that does well in shade, I've seen Silver Moon mentioned alot. I don't have one yet, but have ordered one for a very shady spot in my yard.

Bookmark   February 26, 2006 at 10:55AM
memama_gayle(z8 NC)

Bob that is BEAUTIFUL!! May I ask what type of fern is that growing at the base of the clematis? I like the look! May I also ask what zone are you in?
TIA!
Gayle

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 2:26PM

I'm in zone 9 and what looks like a fern in the picture is dicentra (bleeding heart).

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 4:13PM
tinylady(07 NJ)

That is beautifull. I love their colorfull flowers. I have one over my mail box now that takes up the whole thing when in full growth. This the first year I did not prune it. I will see what happens. Also can you take a cutting from them to start another?
My back yard is shaded a lot. I am outlined in trees.It gets about 3-4 hours of light. I want more color back there that is why I was thinking of clemtis on an trellis or arbor.

Bookmark   March 2, 2006 at 9:48AM
PhoenixDavid(z9 AZ)

Hi there.
I am in zone 9 (Phoenix) and clematis sure can grow in partial shade. In fact, they seem to do better there. I have several on a north facing wall that get no direct sun, but do get some reflected bright light. I just planted them in the fall and all but 1 of the 4 have buds already - florida var. sieboldiana, 'Rhapsody', and 'Perle d'Azur'. I got them from Chalk Hill Clematis, 24 total, and I am very exicted that I can grow them here!

Bookmark   March 2, 2006 at 11:13AM
mgmb(z5 Madison WI)

Bob's HH rocks! I tried one of those in a sunny location in my zone and it faded right out to dull pink. So I got a 'Pink Champagne-Kakio' and it hasn't been doing anything for the past 2 years. I have two white clematis 'Alabast' in same shade/late afternoon sun situation as described by Bob that are sold as shade tolerant. These also haven't done much yet but I am ever hopeful.

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 5:42PM
grittymitts(7/8)

Wow Bob, that's a real show stopper! Guess there's hope for me having one after all.

Thanks!

Suzi

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 8:20PM
More Discussions
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
Help - Where can I buy clematis C. florida Alba Plena online?
Hi everyone, do you know when I can find this clematis?...
deereyebrow
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™