Will Mexican Sun Flower recover from frost.?

dewey1945(9a)December 14, 2012

We got hit with our first frost last night and the young Tithonia Rotundifolia plants I had sitting out in pots took it pretty hard and look like gonners for the season if not for good. I have read this plant can be raised as a perenial in 9a and warmer so I'm wondering if it is worth saving these potted plants in the hope they will come back in the spring. If so, what should I do to insure the best chance for recovery?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dick_Sonia(Sunset 17)

The idea behind growing tender plants as die-back perennials is that the earth is a good insulator and many times a plant's rootstock will survive moderately cold weather that kills the top growth. If the plant is well established in the ground before the freeze, and well mulched, dormant buds near soil level may survive to shoot again the following spring.

Keeping plants in containers changes all that as the roots are above grade and exposed to the cold. The best thing at this point would be to put them in a cool greenhouse. But honestly, they are so easily planted anew as seed-grown annuals that I don't think I would bother. You could also put them in a garage or other freeze-sheltered spot and plant them out if they show signs of recovery in the spring. Next time, if you want to try growing them as perennials, get them in the ground in the spring.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
Privacy Trees?
Good afternoon, I'm hoping to find a recommendation...
sirwoodland
Suggestions for unusual and well-producing veggies for northbay?
We're about to plant the same old things: beans, tomatoes,...
carolsun
chrysanthemums california!
Hi all, I bought these lovely yellow chrysanthemums...
Vyoma Hadkar Khaparde
Discount pottery now that Norcal has Closed?
Does anyone have any good sources for discount pottery...
kristimama
please help me decide on a fast growing screen
For many years the back of my neighbor's lot which...
kentc
Sponsored Products
Kenroy Home Fantail Antique White Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Wilton Armetale Boston 13 in. Cracker Tray - 109125
$19.99 | Hayneedle
Cordelia Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Venice Autumn Gold Lantern Outdoor Wall Moun
Home Depot
Hammary Mallory End Table
Beyond Stores
Moooi | Paper Screen
YLiving.com
La Scala Bronze Umber Three-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Convertible Sem
Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™