Happy Holidays from Under the Lake

queerbychoice(USDA 9a/Sunset 8 (CA))December 19, 2010

Happy Holidays . . . whichever ones you celebrate. Around here, I think we'll be celebrating "We Haven't Drowned Yet" Day, provided that we manage to keep achieving that feat for long enough to celebrate it.

I took the advice of people here and bought a sump pump, hoping to save my poor garden's life with it. I'm very glad I did, but not so much for the sake of saving the garden as for the sake of preventing the house from being flooded. Yesterday I pumped 5,250 gallons of water out of the back yard, and today it's just as wet as it was before I started. Here is the back yard after I pumped as much of the water out as I could.

And here is the back yard less than 24 hours after I pumped the water out . . . all ready to start the process over again.

I hadn't planned on living at the bottom of a lake.

However, my plants are actually doing fine so far. I guess I did a decent job of choosing aquatic plants. (Above: Carex praegracilis. Below: Limnanthes douglasii ssp. sulphurea.)

I even have a decent variety of flowers. (Below: Penstemon heterophyllus 'Blue Springs.')

Even if they do look increasingly bedraggled. (Below: Grindelia hirsutula.)

But I miss November, when the leaves were colorful but still attached to the branches, and there was standing water in the yard but only in the locations I had designated for the water to stand. (Below: Cornus stolonifera in November.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

It's simply amazing that your landlord has not put in a drain. The sump pump seems to be working well- it's a good thing you bought one for this year- I'd hate to see what your house would look like this year if you hadn't.

Your river looks really pretty, though. I like the bridge!

Renee

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 8:05PM
queerbychoice(USDA 9a/Sunset 8 (CA))

Thanks! The "bridge" is actually a blockage I can't get rid of because there's a huge black plastic pipe that crosses the ditch at that point. I assume the pipe contains something important, though I don't know what. Anyway, the water wouldn't flow past the pipe, so I figured it would look better and keep the pipe safer to cover it back up with dirt.

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 9:04PM
PRO
Propaganda Garden Design

If I was you I would move as soon as it is financially possible/convenient to do so. And rent your next place on the top of a hill!

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 3:04PM
happyday(WI4a)

You're lucky, you could grow wasabi in the running water you have there.

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™