What variety of pine would make a good living Christmas tree here

Suzi AKA DesertDanceDecember 21, 2013

We have 9 pines on site, but they don't smell piney. They have zillions of cones, which we burn in the fireplace, and really long needles.

I'd like to plant a short needled, great smelling pine that can tolerate hot summers and brrr cold winters, but not more than 5 days of freeze.

We have 1.5 acres, so space is not a problem.

I just edited this post to say that you can ignore it. I got all the answers I needed at the Conifer forum! I wish I knew how to delete it.

Thanks!

This post was edited by desertdance on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 12:03

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Glad you found a species that might work.

Bookmark   December 25, 2013 at 8:06PM
stanofh

Did they mention Afghan pine?

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 2:53PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

They didn't mention Afghan pine.

I really loved the look of the Pacific White Fir, so I ordered some seeds, and will try some in pots and some directly in ground where I want them to grow. I only want one nice Christmas tree, but if it has that traditional pine smell, I might put a couple in pots just for bringing inside. IF I can get the seeds to grow!

Suzi

Bookmark   December 28, 2013 at 5:22PM
greenwitch(Sz19 SoCal)

Glad you got your answer. For the benefit of someone else, Pinus monophylla Single-Leaf Pinyon Pine is a native tree, grows extremely slowly so it stays Christmas tree size for a long time, is beautiful, and has edible pinenuts (after many years). Monrovia Nursery used to sell a good sized tree in a 10 gal. container. No noticeable fragrance on mine though. I think maybe what you might enjoy is "Douglas fir" sold as Christmas trees and garland, when it's cut or crushed it's very fragrant. You can make tea from the tips too. Pretty easy to find in a native plants nursery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinus monophylla

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 10:04PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Greenwitch! You are too psychic!! I think the douglas has the Christmas scent, but I bought the white fir for it's beauty. And I snuck in some Pinus monophylia for the edibles. I'm not telling hubby. I'm going to plant them way low on the hill by the other pines...We do have irrigation all over the property. I have seeds (Ebay) and they are stratifying in the fridge right now.

Our property is huge, and a couple Douglas fir wouldn't hurt. Sometimes I hate Ebay! I get tempted! Last night I ordered two Pistaccio trees. They love this climate, so they can dwell by the Macadamias!

A packet of Douglas Fir shouldn't cost too much.....

Suzi

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™