Frost tonight! What about growing tips of leaves?

esther_bMarch 26, 2012

The lush surreal proto-Spring weather we've been enjoying is coming to an abrupt end tonight---there's a danger of FROST. My Nellie Moser has two sets of leaves at her nodes. Do I have to cover the leaves to protect them tonight?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenhavenrdgarden

Great question. It's going down to 27 degrees tonight after hitting almost 80 last week and consistently high temps. All my clems have buds-my Nelly is full of them even though I cut it way back last fall when I plantef her- not to mention my bulbs and everything else. This is my first spring with a garden. I'm not sure what to do either.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 9:15AM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

I'm worried about all the new growth too. Leaves and buds swelling... Will they survive the cold or should I cover with a sheet? We are supposed to get down to about 25 degrees tonight! Yikes!

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 11:33AM
pmermakov(Zone 6 (OH))

We get plenty of hard frosts well into April here in the past years. I think the clematis will be fine with the frost even with not covering them. Please let us know if they suffer from the frost. I hate the idea of missing the first flush of blooms...

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 7:12PM
Ibanez540r

I'm worried as well in NE Ohio. Mid 20's and my etoille violette has already shot TONS of vines about 12in. It's against a trellis where it can;t really be covered, but I did toss a pieces of burlap against it as best I could :-/

Hydrangeas are all covered and cant cover the 10ft climbing rose. Hope they do OK!

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 1:40AM
Julia NY(6)

We had a frost warning too with our night time temps to go to 20's but looks like we didn't get a frost although their is ice in the birdbath.

The clematis here are just up about a couple of inches. Hopefully the cold didn't set them all back too much.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 8:55AM
Ibanez540r

How'd everyone do? We hit 26 in Brunswick, Ohio. Just uncovered everything, guess I'll wait to see the damage.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 10:53AM
pmermakov(Zone 6 (OH))

My clematis faired okay. Even with the cold snap, there is tons of new growth. Most of mine are fairly recently started, so I hard pruned almost all my clematis including the type 2's. Ibanez540r~ I live in NE Ohio on the west side of Cleveland, too. Small world.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 1:25PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Small world is right! I live in Ravenna which is one hour south of Cleveland. Another freeze tonight.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 2:40PM
Ibanez540r

pmermakov, what city are you in?

Pretty funny, seems like a lot from NE Ohio on here.

Anyway my clem seemed to do just fine and is really taking off. Hopefully tonight isn't too bad. My hydrangeas on the other hand got hit fairly bad the other night even though they were covered.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 1:52AM
Julia NY(6)

Snow is predicted for us here in Upstate NY (Finger Lakes region) for late tonight into Saturday. Could have up to 2 inches. I've checked the clematis and they are all still growing so I guess the cold we've had this week has not affected them at all. Thank goodness they are not budding yet.

Julia

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 10:16AM
pmermakov(Zone 6 (OH))

Ibane ~ I live in Berea. Is there a place around here that sells alfalfa pellet? Maybe a feedstore in Medina? I checked with Landmart and no luck.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 5:12PM
Ibanez540r

^ Sure is. I use Smith Bros.

www.smithbrosmulch.com $14 50lbs. 17% protein

Also Tractor Supply Company in Medina carries it but not as good.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™