Did I - or the frost - kill my lavender?

tinanDecember 22, 2013

I have some lovely pinata lavenders (fern leaf) I love them but they grew so much this year I had to prune them 3 times as they were falling open and over a pathway. I don't know if I over-did it the last time, as I had to hack them back quite a lot, or if it was the sudden cold weather, or the deluge of rain last month, but they have all turned black and ugly :(

They are along the front path so quite prominent and looking awful right now. They were so beautiful all year!

Some parts are still alive and even have new flowers coming out.

Can I salvage them? Should I trim the black ugly parts off or leave alone for now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gobluedjm

Frost killed mine the first year I put it in. Yours might survive.
Leave all the dead it will protect the remaining live growth.
Also cutting it off could promote new growth which could get frosted and die also.

You might think about goodwin creek lavender. It tolerates the frost and cold better. The latest cold snap killed the flowers but the rest of both plants are fine. It did get down to 27 here.

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 7:29PM
calistoga_al

I think your lavender will be fine. Wait until you see new growth before cutting back. Answering your post would be easier if you included your location or Sunset zone. Al

Bookmark   December 25, 2013 at 11:05AM
tinan

I thought my zone was in my profile but I guess not - Palo Alto, CA (SF peninsula) sunset zone 15-16.

We have never had frost especially as these gardens are close to the stucco house, facing southwest - the walls keep the gardens warmer at night. This is a first!

Bookmark   December 26, 2013 at 1:41PM
calistoga_al

This is a frosty December, but not near as cold as December 1990. You lavender will be fine. Al

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™