Vanilla Orchid

slogal(CA z10a/Sunset 16)December 13, 2012

Has anyone successfully grown a vanilla orchid outdoors in a zone similar to mine? I just received a small (5-6" long) Vanilla planifolia and plan to grow it in my enclosed patio where it will receive filtered light and be protected from the colder weather.

From my reading, it seems like overwatering may be the biggest danger. They seem to like a fast-draining soil mix and misting on their aerial roots. But I'd welcome any tips!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socal23(USDA10/Sunset23)

AHS, Botanica and Flora say it can't handle temperatures below about 40. However, AHS describes it as "intermediate to warm growing."

Some googling revealed the following:

Vanilla chamissonis

Growing vanilla - help!

How do I grow vanilla bean?

So a close relative can survive in Southern California, I suspect a limiting issue may be its semi-epiphytic growth habit - it dies back from the base becoming fully epiphytic with age which may be problematic here. Unfortunately that doesn't answer your central issue which is whether the biggest limiting factor relating to cold is mechanical (freeze damage) or biochemical (certain metabolic processes can't occur below a certain temperature). If the former, then protecting it from frost will suffice, if the latter, it will require a heated space.

Ryan

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 12:27AM
Dick_Sonia(Sunset 17)

Vanilla orchid is a true Zone 11 plant that is marginal even in the mildest spots of southern Florida. It really needs warm, humid nights, even in winter.
Due to the extremely long canes that it needs to produce before flowering it is difficult to grow even in a greenhouse since a flower pot is not sufficient to support its needs.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 5:53PM
stanofh

Bring indoors,and place near a sunny window and never let go very dry. Use the patio May- November.
In a greenhouse,they are fast growers..but most plants are!

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 6:10PM
slogal(CA z10a/Sunset 16)

Thanks, all! I'm giving one to a friend who has commercial greenhouses, at least one of which is very warm and humid. She'll have a better shot than I, but it will be fun to try anyway.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 11:48PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

I remember a lavish, glorious specimen in bloom in a glasshouse in Chicago, Illinois. It was certainly warm and humid in there.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 6:03PM
gotsomerice(Sunset 23)

You must move the plant indoor when it goes below 55F.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Dymondia
Hi all! I planted some dymondia as a groundcover last...
Sabine Halfhill
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™