Navel vs Valencia

charleslou23February 6, 2012

which you think taste better and sweeter? Which is bigger as far as fruit size?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Sorta depends what you like, how you want to eat them, etc.

Let's assume you are talking about the Washington Navel (there are many different types of navel oranges, but the Washington is most common). The WN has larger fruit, less juice, maybe slightly more sugar. The WN is easy to peal and easy to eat out of hand; the Valencia is more of a juice orange; but can also be eaten out of hand. My preference for fresh fruits always goes toward something I can pick off the tree and enjoy straight away; but that is my personal prejudics.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 4:30PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

The Washington navel orange is probably the best out of hand eating orange variety in the world. No kidding. It is what put the city of Riverside, California on the map. The Valencia orange is THE juicing orange. Each has their own best qualities. Nevel oranges are not optimal for juicing due to the amount of limonin they contain, and the act of juicing will cause the juice to become bitter after storing the juice for a little bit, which is why Valencias (amongst other properties) make the better juice orange. Depends on what you want, Charles - the ability to eat out of hand, or oranges for juicing. You can always solve the dilemma by getting both on semi-dwarfing rootstock and keep them size-controlled with regular and minimal pruning, then have best of both!

Patty S.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 4:36PM
charleslou23

thanks patty, think my wife prefers eating orange than making OJ, so navel it is:
Came across these 3 varieties from a TX citrus nursery's website:

Skaggs Bonanza
N33
Everhard

still researching which one to get.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™