A little growth...

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 4:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NstyN8(8)

Almost 1 year ~150 pads!

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 4:35PM
Microthrix(9)

Very nice! I like that opuntia, what kind is it? I have an opuntia microdaysis (is it spelled like that?) That did that from. Being planted at about the same time :P i love how opuntia grow so fast ...

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 6:06PM
plantomaniac08(8)

@Nsty,
Wow that's quite a difference! You have one happy plant on your hands. Has it bloomed yet? Thanks for sharing!

@Micro,
You're very close: Optunia microdasys. Also, I'm shocked, you don't have one of those yet? :P

Planto

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 8:10PM
Microthrix(9)

Noo ... should i ?

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 8:42PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Give it 6 years and you will have a monster. I had a cold front come through and I had 200 lbs or more of slimy mush, It grew back from the core and then the same thing happened again the next year when we had another nasty cold front. It is a good plant if you have a LARGE yard. otherwise be brutal with trimming it. Mine got to be 10'x 10 '. I got rid of it because the cactus coreid bug sucked it to pieces. It was always bleeding white stuff and had hickeys all over it. I thought maybe if I put it Far away, then I couldn't see all that shizz.

I see you hVE THE Cow toungue englemanii, That can get huge too. I see a battle forming here.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 9:10PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Micro,
I was just poking fun at you. :) I figured with your 1000+ plants, you might already have one of these.

Planto

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 10:15PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It is not a O . microgasys.It has been coltivated forrver and some people call it "old Mexico" some in San Antonio call it "Frog Legs" Opuntia microdasys is the bunny ears cactus. Very different with gobs of glochid clusters forming short fuzzy polkadots. I have not as yet gotten a believable latin name.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 9:42AM
Microthrix(9)

Ive had some bad experiences with microdasys ... the first year i had one i thought it was soft so i petted it ... had glochid had for about a week ... my leg also hit it ... itchy legs for a week. The plant fell from being heavy and fell on a euphorbia trigona ... everything was covered in glochids ... and an eves needle opuntia (subulata?) Fell on a microdasys (from being top heavy) ... now that was terrible, the eves needle was heavy glochids were flying in the air, thank the lord none got into my lungs or something ... but the got everywhere else ( ._.)

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 11:59AM
martenfisher(9a)

Opuntia subarmata / undulata. The subarmata name is considered invalid but is still common for this species to be used. I have heard it called 'Old Mexico' there is also an Opuntia robusta called 'Old Mexico'.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Jade tree pricing
Okay this may sound like a silly question but a Gollum...
Hamza Nobes
Help! what's wrong with these succulents
They are with me just only for 2 months. Their leaves...
hm825
Could someone identify this plant?
I'm pretty sure this guy is in a succulent family....
RobynDarlene
Echeveria leaves falling off and stem turning dark?
Hello, I'm new on this website and could use some help...
adelalis
hen and chicks not faring well indoors--- suggestions?
Hi, Even as a child, I usually had hen and chicks outdoors...
iaskedforwater
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™