Putting climbing nasturtiums with clematis?

disneynut1977(5b, Sunset zone 42)March 8, 2009

Hi, I put in 4 clematis last summer on my fence and was wondering if this spring I could plant some nasturiums with them?

Melissa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

I don't think that should be an issue at all. I planted some sweet peas in a pot that I have an obelisk in and that will house several different clematis.

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 4:26PM
gardengal48

Nasturtiums are very attractive to black aphids - in fact they are often used as a companion plant in vegetable gardening to draw them away from the veggies. So don't be surprised if the intermingling of the two vines results in the intermingling of the aphids as well.

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 9:37PM
disneynut1977(5b, Sunset zone 42)

Hmmmmmmm. I guess I could just put my 2 climbing nasturium on the fencing post's for my 2 tomato patches.

Thanks
Melissa

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 9:06AM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Strange Pam as I have grown nasturtiums for quite a few years to put in salads and I have never had aphids on them. Aphids on other plants not even close to the nasturtiums, but never on the nasturtiums. Only shows what I have said time and time again, what works in one garden may or may not work in another and the only real way to know is to give it a try.

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 10:40AM
gardengal48

All I can say Miguel is that you've been very lucky, as nasturtiums are notorious for attracting this pest :-) In fact, if you do a search on "nasturtiums" in general, virtually every site will remark on this problem to some extent. Maybe it's your climate/location? And you're 100% correct - what works well in one garden may be a total disaster in another!

Check out the photo in this link - that's what nasturtiums look like here in midsummer.......gross!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: what's that black stuff on my nasturtiums?

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 12:09PM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Gross is hardly an appropriate description Pam. Yuck!!! Believe me I get aphids on many things, including clematis seedlings that I have started but never the black ones--usually just the green colored ones or orange colored ones back when I grew the tropical milkweed ascelpsias curassavica. Don't know what it is, but knock wood, they have never been on the nasturtiums. Let's just hope this doesn't jinx me this year! LOL

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 1:26PM
virakech(z5 Ohio)

wow, I've never had any bug on any nasturtium, ever - at any garden or location.

I had no idea they got bugs.

The only mildew I've ever had was on some short zinnia, and that was our fault as we watered late at night and it didn't have a chance to dry properly.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
When should my Josephine start coming up?
I planted Josephine last spring, she never got very...
mzstitch
What size container would you recommend?
I have several clematis growing in the ground. However,...
gardenbug
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
Sponsored Products
Surya 18 in. Round Pouf - Brown - POUF-76
$109.80 | Hayneedle
Twist Floor Lamp Base
Lamps Plus
Blue Candle Display Tray
$24.99 | zulily
Twinkle Personalized Framed Wall Decor - 24W x 18H in. - WAL-HJE-N-F
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Kidwise Big Blue Lagoon Waterpark - KWWS-A4
$589.00 | Hayneedle