jackmanii fought the gardenia and the gardenia won

lenahall(7b)March 31, 2013

i moved into my home about 7 years ago (northwest Ga). a jackmanii is growing up a trellis on the west facing side of the house, and a gardenia bush is almost in front of the clem. so all was great until 2 years ago when i used fertilizer stakes around the gardenia. that thing absolutely blew up! is now at least 5x5 and has a million blooms... however, the clem has suffered, i'm assuming from decreased light and air flow. i've only started researching how to move clems, and think this would be the thing to do IF it wasn't right beside the house, close to the gardenia, and pretty close to some peonies on its right side... should i just kiss it good bye and use it as a practice vine for propagating?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stimpy926

Which is more important to you? Myself, I'd prune the gardenia back rather than move a giant successful clematis.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I'd keep the gardenia over jackmanii myself. I'd just prune the clematis back and let it grow up into the sun as it wants too. A shrub in front of it should not bother it so much. Provided it gets enough water and fertilizer. None of mine are all alone in their locations....

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Longest blooming clematis for Utah
Bloom times just don't follow the rules here in this...
kay21_utahzone5a
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™