cottonseed meal

bobbygil(7)March 7, 2009

Hi..anyone ever use cottonseed meal on clematis? I use them on my Azaleas and Blueberry bushes and was just curious how they would be on clematis...thanks bobby

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Never have used it but its nutritional composition is somewhere about 6-1-1 or so in nitrogen, phosphorus, and potash. I typically like to use something that is higher in phosphorus since it stimulates root grow and ultimately flower production. The only other downside is that it can acidify the soil so if your soil is already acidic, you could be lowering the soil pH even more.

Bookmark   March 7, 2009 at 10:48AM
gardengal48

I agree with Miguel - it wouldn't be my first choice for clematis. But then I have naturally acidic soils :-) If you wish to follow an organic regime, I'd suggest alfalfa meal (2-1-2) as it tends to be a bit more balanced nutrient-wise and with a lower nitrogen concentration. Or, if you can easily find them, a complete organic rose or vegetable fertilizer would work equally as well. I use Dr. Earth myself (when I don't rely just on my bunny and his 'produce') but Espoma also makes a similar organic product. And there are others.

Bookmark   March 7, 2009 at 12:05PM
bobbygil(7)

Thanks..i wasnt sure... its good on my Blueberries and azaleas, but they like it acidic anyway

Bookmark   March 7, 2009 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™