Which Clematis' will bloom all Summer?

ashliMarch 27, 2007

Or, at least for three months. Silver Star Vinery advertises many that bloom from June to September...but can that mean EVERY state? I want to buy the plants that bloom well the first season.

Thanks for any info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

There isn't one particular clematis that will bloom all summer..you can plant different varieties that will allow you to have one or the other blooming at sometime..Your Pruning group 2's will bloom once in Spring and then again in later summer/early fall..Your Montana's will bloom once in Spring..but what you must understand that when clematis do have their bloom cycle..it's usually for a 6 week period...your Viticella's/Pruning group 3's will be hard pruned and have to grow their new vines up before blooming as they bloom on new vines produced in the growing season..I get 2-3 bloom cycles from these by hard pruning and refertilizing again after their first intitial bloom period is over..you can check out COTW and it will list the bloom period and yes this is for the whole USA etc...the length of one's growing period attributes to variations in bloom periods but your zone isn't that much different from mine...I would plant various varieties to achieve this and once they are established you'll have lots of blooms ..I even had my Clematis "Florida Sieboldii" blooming in January this year!!...Jeanne

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 10:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

No Clematis blooms well the first year. They all take at least three years to reach maturity. They should be hard pruned the first two also to encourage more root and stem growth, which will reduce flowering but give you a much better vine over time.

June to September in the Pacific Northwest is significantly less hot and sunny than in Georgia. We only average a couple dozen days over 80* and you guys average close to 100, if I remember the chart I looked at the other day correctly.

This would definitely affect bloom time.

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 12:00PM
More Discussions
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Longest blooming clematis for Utah
Bloom times just don't follow the rules here in this...
kay21_utahzone5a
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
Need 2 clematis that go well together
Hello. I am putting in a new trellis that gets full...
suz9601
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™