Help me identify this 'thing'

amateur_annaMay 31, 2008

DH and I have been noticing these foamy spots appearing in our garden. They are bubbled above the ground, and when you touch them with a stick, they collapse and are almost like a meringue in structure. I say they are spider eggs, DH says a mold/fungus. Can anyone help settle this debate (please tell me I am right as always ;)? We've never seen these things before.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It's a common, pretty harmless fungus thingie - often called slime mold, vomit mold and a few other colorful names. First time I found it in my sideyard out front, I I was sure the party animals next door had barfed in my yard! You can carefully remove it (when disturbed it releases tons of spores into the atmosphere) - or not - it's pretty self limiting. I just discovered another blob this morning - 'tis the season!

    Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 12:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Ha! Thx for the info. Off to tell hubby he was right.....

    Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 1:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The only thing in my garden that it hurts is ornamental grasses! Doesn't kill them, but suspends growth for awhile, so one afflicted grass looks 2 years behind its siblings.


    Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 4:42PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
Raleigh Spring Swap details posted
I've posted the details of the Raleigh Spring Swap...
Free Talk re Edible Landscaping in Cary
Brie Arthur recently gave a talk at the Rock Garden...
Ralph Whisnant
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™