rhubarb

thomis(7)May 11, 2010

Anyone growing rhubarb in the Carolinas? I have been told that it doesn't fair well in our hot summers.

If you are growing it with any success, please share your tricks and what variety you are growing. Many thanks,

~thomis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thomis(7)

I found some other posts where this topic has been discussed extensively. should've check that first.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 12:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

The only way I been able to get it to work is to buy them as early as possible - preferably late January or February. I can usually find roots for sale at Logans downtown Raleigh or I can pick some large roots up while working the Philadelphia Flower Show in March. I have never had much luck with the seedlings you can find at home improvement stores.

There's doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to any of it. Some years it does fine for me and other years it fails. This year I lost all but one tiny plant but a potted division that I gave someone last year is doing very well for them this year and it never got planted.

It grows best in full sun. It prefers cool weather. It doesn't get big enough to harvest stalks if grown in a pot unless you're willing to sacrifice the entire plant. It rarely survives the summer heat - if it does, there is no advantage to keeping it going. It will not outperform freshly planted roots purchased early in the year and planted outside before things get hot.

One healthy plant can provide enough stalks for 2 or 3 pies.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
Michelia figo
Is anyone in NC successfully growing Banana Shrub,...
transplanted2scin07
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™