Where is best place to purchase clematis?

pinkswineMarch 6, 2012

I'm interested in purchasing some shade-tolerant clematis online. Can anyone recomend an online site? I live near Portland, Oregon. Are there any local nurseries in this general area that carry a wide selection? Thanks much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob414(USDA 9, Sunset 15)

buyorsell888 is a good source of information for you. She will be along and answer your question here or if you're in a hurry you can email her from her page.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 1:41PM
Julia NY(6)

Here is a thread that was started with recommendations from forum members.

Julia

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis Sellers

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 6:34PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Julia's thread lists all the clematis sellers, not necessarily the recommended ones. The three I use most are Brushwood Nursery, Silver Star Vinery, and Hummingbird Farm. Joy Creek also has an excellent selection.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 4:54PM
plantloverkat north Houston(zone 9a)

My favorite sellers are the same as those listed above by nhbabs z4b-5a NH. To answer the OP's original question, Joy Creek is the only one I know in the general Portland, Oregon area. Perhaps others who live closer to the Portland area will chime in with suggestions for where they buy clematis locally.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 5:47PM
suibhan

I have purchased several over the years from Silver Star Vinery. They are a super place to buy from, The plants are nice sized, packaged very well, are sent at the right time for your zone, & grow nicely!

Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 6:55PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I have not had to resort to buying online except for one shipment. I have more than sixty Clematis.

You can find Clemmies just about everywhere here in Portland for reasonable prices. I've even gotten really nice ones from Fred Meyer.

Joy Creek is the most expensive in the area but does have a large selection. Every retailer should have at least a dozen to choose from or more.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 9:20PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Nelly Moser is a common one that is shade tolerant. You can usually find her just about anywhere including big box stores though I never buy there unless in bloom as labeling is terrible.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 3:06PM
gardengal48

You can find Clemmies just about everywhere here in Portland for reasonable prices. I've even gotten really nice ones from Fred Meyer.

LOL!! That's because the same supplier provides clems to Fred Meyer as well as all the area retail nurseries :-) They just usually pot them up differently and sell them at a different price point due to volume. But they are all coming from the same place and of the same quality.

Those with different colored bars or stipes on the petals - like Nelly - are usually listed as more shade tolerant. As is the common evergreen clematis C. armandii and the spring blooming species alpina and montana. Most other clems would prefer quite a lot of sun. Too much shade reduces flowering.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
armandii: promise me it's *really* big?
My bedroom window is effectively three stories high...
Kristin
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
Sponsored Products
Red Oak Table Lamp with Beige Linen Shade
ParrotUncle
Ford Executive Conference Table - Dark Walnut
Zuri Furniture
Possini Encircled Crystal 48 1/4" Wide Multi Light Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
Yellow
Grandin Road
RGB PixelDMX LED Strip Light, 32/m, RGB-pixeldmx-reel-32
EnvironmentalLights.com