Datura frost worry

valeriepa(z5-6 NEPA)September 23, 2013

My daturas have formed large green seed pods. I am afraid they will not be mature before frost hits. Besides potting up and bringing inside, does anyone have any suggestions?
Also I read in another post, you can harvest green pods and place them in a brown paper bag to mature? Has anyone harvested viable this way?
Thanks for any advice. I really want the seeds from my triple yellow datura.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rudy625

Hi fellow NEPA gardener. I'm in the Wilkes Barre area, and have grown dats in the past here. I no longer grow them, because brugmansias have become my plant of choice these days. I think that you will have at least 2 more weeks or more to let the pods mature on the plants. They will still be ok even after the first frost if it's not a killing frost. You will want to harvest the seeds before the pod split open anyway, or else you will have seeds scattered everywhere. It happens fast, so keep a sharp eye on them. If you have to harvest them too soon, the bag method may help to ripen the pods, but leave them on the plant as long as you can. My brugs are setting nice end of the season flushes now,and as I said before, the forecast looks good for at least the next 10 days or so. By the way, where are you located in NEPA.
dAN

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 11:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
valeriepa(z5-6 NEPA)

I live in Scranton. Still waiting for the triple yellow seed pod to mature. Did get seed from my white datura. I'm checking on the yellow one daily, but it still is green without a hint of browning. Thanks for the advice Dan.
Valerie

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
Brugmansia cuttings wanted
I'm looking for Brugmansia cuttings I'll pay postage...
rowtow
Here's to a great World Series tonight
Looking forward to a good World Series . Guess I'm...
BeachLorax
Dr. Seuss got a little cold
Ok, so advice - Vinyl greenhouses from Big Lots cannot...
cygnwulf
Brugmansia cuttings
Hi I am trying to see if anyone has brugmansia cuttings...
marcie_new
Brug Tree Vs Scrub
This is my first year growing brugs and I'm addicted....
halley_rose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™