Meyer Lemon with thorns

janice560February 12, 2010

I have a dwarf Meyer Lemon that has very long, sharp thorns on it - about 1 inch long. Other people I know with meyers don't have the thorns...Why?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Hi Janice, I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but wanted to share some info on my potted dwarf Meyer lemon tree, when I bought the tree it was thornless...it took about the 4th year and I noticed it started getting a few thorns...none prior to that, so I'm not sure if it gets them after a certain age or it has something to do with the particular variety the graft was taken from? All I do is cut them off and I've never had any problems from doing that. I have also heard of some Meyer trees with no thorns, so I am not sure why some do and some don't...hopefully someone here that knows will share it with us. As long as it continues to bloom and give me fruits, I guess I have no option than just to remove them once in a while. Luckily, only a few branches have them on occasion, I've been known to prune the ones that have them as long as the branches don't have any blooms. Good luck with your tree!

Bookmark   February 13, 2010 at 8:13AM
ianna(Z5b)

Mine has thorns. I grew my plant from seeds and so I always thought meyer lemons had thorns.

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 9:23PM
wilmington_islander(9A/Sunset 28)

MIne will puncture a jugular......beware when picking fruit from inside the canopy.

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
Advice on pruning lemon
Hello all. I have a lemon tree (pictured) that was,...
mattlody
Omari satsuma in the desert
I'm debating on getting an Owari Satsuma (OS) but live...
zwoydziak9bsunset13
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
citrus tree gratfting 101
I would like to start grafting my own citrus trees....
rj campbell inc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™