Plant Identification - Images Included

katthorMay 17, 2010

Does anyone happen to know what these plants are? I'm including pictures so it will, hopefully, be easier to identify. I have looked all over the internet and can't seem to find anything hints.

The first plant is thorny all over, leaves, stems, etc. The plant has been popping up around the yard. I have pulled out several from the lawn but I am letting one to grow so I can see what happens. I hope it isn't poisonous!

The second mystery plant has popped up around our pine trees. Seems like a vine but I don't know what kind it is. I haven't seen any bloom this year or last.

Last but not least, there is this little plant. It popped up last year, during the summer, and it looked like it could grow to a pretty plant so I let it grow. Unfortunately it did nothing - no flower, no berries, etc. Grew to about 2-3 feet tall and about 1-2 feet wide. It's back this year and now I'm curious as to what it might be.

I'm sort of a newbie to gardening in this region so many plants and weeds are a total mystery to me. I have started the habit of allowing some plants/weeds that I find to grow so I can determine what they are and if I like them. My husband thinks it's silly to allow - what he considers weeds- to grow but I have found some plants to be quite beautiful once they get the chance to bloom. I have also learned that some weeds are just that - weeds. hehe. Anyways, any help would be appreciated in identifying those plants!

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

First one is Aralia spinosa, I think. Common name is Devil's Walking Stick. It is a native plant, a tree eventually. Has a very showy flower plume and gets berries. Worth keeping a few of them.

Second is Smilax, a native thorny vine that usually grows from an underground tuber.

Not sure on the 3rd.

Since you're using photobucket, why not paste the full size picture there so we can see the details?

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 6:21PM
katthor

Thank you for the help! I'm having some issues trying to re-post the pictures larger though.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 6:55AM
aezarien(7b)

Last one looks sort of like a variety of oregano.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 7:25AM
esh_ga

Do you remember if #3 left a woody stem or died back to the ground completely?

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 9:06AM
trianglejohn

#3 looks like a legume to me, a member of the pea or clover family. Like maybe a Lespedezia or Psoralea (I may have these misspelled - heck I may have misspelled 'misspelled')

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 9:09AM
trianglejohn

Ok, my guesses for #3 are:
Trefoil - Desmodium
or
Shrubby lespedeza - Lespedeza bicolor

You may not know for sure until it blooms. Whichever it is, it is considered a weed so you might want to remove it before it overtakes the yard.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 1:02PM
katthor

Thanks for the help everyone. Yes #3 did die back in the winter and left a little wooden stem. I should have mentioned that!

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
Privacy shrubs in upstate South Carolina - Thuja or something else?
I live in the upstate of South Carolina. My Leyland...
sharonsand
Callistemon citrinus
Are you supposed to prune this to the ground in early...
cindip
anyone grow Pseudosasa japonica?
Does anyone on this forum have Pseudosasa japonica?...
cousinfloyd
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Hello all, long time no speak
It's Nannerbelle. I already had a ID on Houzz so this...
rottie59
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™