Hostas in Calif?

plantas(8bCA)December 29, 2005

Someone just mentioned that Hostas will not grow in Calif.

Has anyone tried growing them here in Calif?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mikey(SoCal-Z10-22/23)

Generally hostas don't do well in a warm climate. California has many zones and although I am unsuccessful at growing them here in zone 10, you will likely do quite well in your zone 8.

Bookmark   December 29, 2005 at 11:47PM
calistoga_al

I have many Hosta both in the ground and in containers. I am sorry to hear they are not doing well, as I am quite pleased with them. Al

Bookmark   December 30, 2005 at 9:40AM
wanda(Z9 CA)

Too funny, Al!

I grow Hostas in the San Jose area that do just fine as well...as long as I remember to bait for snails and slugs, which seems to be the biggest problem with growing them.

wanda

Bookmark   December 30, 2005 at 11:00AM
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

plantas:

I have seen them tried in many parts of California. They are happy in Northern California where not only do they get somewhat more cold, they get much better soil quality and better water quality than So. California. The latter two qualities may be most important for good hosta growth.

As Mikey stated, there are many zones in California. You might live in a zone that is not only cold enough but also has good soil and water -- and a lack of snails (the ultimate hosta menance).

Joe

Bookmark   December 30, 2005 at 11:12AM
melle_sacto(Z9/Sunset 14 CA)

I have them in zone 9/14 (Sacramento). They return every year, bigger than before. Just don't allow them to receive afternoon sun--mine do and they end up pretty fried. I keep telling myself I should relocate them but I still haven't done it.

Bookmark   December 30, 2005 at 11:35AM
napapen(ca 15)

I have them in the Napa Valley. In shady protected areas. I plant in large tub sunken in the soil to keep the gophers at bay. They bloom beautifully.

Penny

Bookmark   December 30, 2005 at 3:37PM
CA Kate

After reading this thread, I think I might try Hostas in my front bed under the bay windows since I'm still not happy with the way it looks.

Bookmark   December 31, 2005 at 6:49PM
calistoga_al

At this time of the year most hosta are completely gone. For this reason I don't plant them in a highly visable location. A better choice for the same type exposure is Daphne which looks good all year and is just coming into bloom now. Al

Bookmark   January 1, 2006 at 10:27AM

I was going to post a similar comment to Al's, that hosta are definitely perennials here. They turn into slimy puddles for winter so it might be better to plant them where you are already happy with a design and their purpose is to enhance rather than complete.

Bookmark   January 1, 2006 at 12:40PM
rgrstvr(9)

everybody tells me i can't grow hostas. what if i grow them in pots and keep them cool and out of the sun in the winter? what if i refrigerate them for a month in the winter?

Here is a link that might be useful: Endangered Species

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 9:01PM
calistoga_al

Sunnibel17, we are in northern California, where the winter cold average lowest temperature is about 25 degrees. I would never put them in the freezer. In so. cal. many hostas will do OK in your climate, you need to do a little research to find which will do best. Your GardenWeb member setting will not allow emailing you direct. Al

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 12:35AM
emmarene

They have never lived long enough to bother with in my location. Not due to the heat but due to the bad soil here in my area. We have boron in our soil that many plants do not like. I should say the amount of boron is what some plants are sensitive to

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 3:56AM
socks

I see them in the nurseries here in So. CA and have successfully grown them in my shade garden which gets a couple hours of morning sun. They disappear in the winter and come back in the spring. While I like them, it's very, very difficult to compete with the slugs and possibly other insects who like them too. I gave up this past spring and yanked them. I'm not one bit sorry and will not miss them.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 10:46AM

Wow this is an old thread! My hostas didn't last more than a couple winters...but then I became a rather stingy summer water-er too, and through trial and error I learned that there is pretty much no spot in my yard that is TRUE full shade, and in the shadiest part my camellia and sun azalea burn.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™