Pruning Question

blondiescMarch 22, 2010

I get so confused about pruning clematis. I know that alot depends on the type. I have several types 2's and 3's. My question is ---- when the pruning instructions refer to pruning above the leaf buds, is that on old wood? Or do I wait until new growth (which I'm seeing now) and prune it? Thank you in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

You can wait until you see the new growth if you want to. How old are these Clematis? ALL Clematis benefit from being pruned as 3s the first few years. You won't hurt 2s to prune as 3s.

for 3s you want to prune just above the lowest new growth or you can just whack them off at a foot tall which is what I do. They sprout out from the vines and up from the crown.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 12:43PM
blondiesc

Thank you for the information. That does help. Most of mine are 2 - 3 years old. I have Roogchi, Claire De Lune, Crispa, Multi Blue, Petit Faucun, HF Young. I also have Henryi and it is about 5 years old.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 3:20PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

If you did not prune them as 3s at first you can do so now to encourage more vines. 2s tend to get scraggly left on their own. Rooguchi and Petit Faucon are 3s anyway. It took Petit Faucon five years to get going for me but it is WOW now.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™