Kalanchoe/Paddle Plant-Need advice Please

gardenlady48(z5 IL)July 26, 2012

Please take a look at the pictures. Last night all 3 specimens were erect. This morning one apparently became top heavy and is now laying on it's side. Questions: If I remove the upper portion of these plants how do I successfully propagate them? I tried to do this with a different plant earlier this year and it rotted....Appreciate some expertise...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

No problem, If you remove the top portion. Has it bloomed alreay? it doesn't matter really . The bottom portion will push out a multitude of small suckers, baies, whatever you want to call them . One can pull them out or cut them off. Some will come with some roots if they grew through the soil. One can cut off the ones above and let them callous and then root them. Maybe you can root the top if it hasn't bloomed yrt. or take the stalk and cut them in sections and root each leaf i with a bit of sralk. I rooted the dtalk after it bloomed and the leaves on the side started to root. This plant is a baby making machine.

Here is a picture of a K. luciae of mine after the bloom stalk had been cut and making babies. This is not the varigated "fantastic" variety. She is a plain jane. but don't tell her. She was gorgeous before she bloomed. I think she is still pretty. I just cut off some babies that you see in this pot and left a few of the main plants to grow. I am rooting the smaller ones.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 5:53PM
gardenlady48(z5 IL)

When you say callus over do you mean make the cut, then set aside for the end to dry out? Then pot it up

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 7:21PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Yes, that is what I mean. I don't pot them up in dirt. I have them hang out in a pot of Large limestone gravel/small rocks. They make for a moist humid atmosphere when watered. They will root but they don't rot. Others root in fast draining dirt. Mist don't water if you do, because the can't take up water if they have no roots. But yea, thats the idea. I usually let them callous over longer than a day, maybe 2-3days , especially if they are going to be put in dirt. I just checked the ones I cut off and they are forming root nubs so they will be ready for dirt really soon.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 7:48PM
cactusmcharris

'ready for dirt'

I've struck gold in the tombstone wording department.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 12:46AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Always glad to make you chuckle.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 2:51AM
More Discussions
Waves and Ripples: A Study in Contrast
My Waves and Ripple Jades side by side... Christopher...
kaktuskris
How to keep my boojum seedlings alive
Hi I just sprouted some boojum seeds overnight in a...
erythronium80
Great news!
End of day one for my new greenhouse! It is larger,has...
spikef35
Suggestions for improving the new GW?
Let’s do try to keep suggestions to that which is...
Paul MI
Two more Echies from today
The first is E. kircheriana and the one in the back...
hablu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™