Might this be a Clivia?

roseseekJanuary 2, 2013

A good friend gifted me this plant, but was unsure what it is. The thing is healthy and looks like a Clivia with extremely wide leaves to me, but I can't find anything on line to identify it. Might anyone please be able to provide a name for it so I can learn more about it? Thanks! Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monet_g

Kim,
It does look similar, but I think not. What do the roots look like? Clivia grow on a pseudo bulb as opposed to having roots per se. Healthy ones look like a mass of light colored earthworms.
Gail

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 9:53AM
monet_g

A friend advised that it could be an orchid in need of TLC.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 8:50AM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I agree. It looks like a phalaenopsis. The potting mix looks like it might be spent orchid bark. You might want to repot it in fresh bark.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 12:43PM
roseseek

Thank you! Unfortunately, the person who gave it to me doesn't 'speak plant'. He is a gifted animal breeder and can keep pretty much any plant alive. He just isn't tuned into them enough to remember much about them. Here are a few photos taken a little while ago. Hopefully, they'll help answer some questions about it. The thing appears to be bulbous to me. The foliage isn't striated underneath, nor variegated on their surfaces. There is a sort of embossed texture to the upper surfaces, but not heavily. I was originally concerned it might be a phalaenopsis, which would be impossible to maintain in this house. Fortunately, it's in potting soil with real roots, so that isn't an issue. Thanks! Kim

Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 2:04PM
maria-anna

Hi,
Absolutely not a phalaenopsis. I grow them; they are different. What comes to my mind is some sort of Haemanthus. Not the Heamanthus coccineus, though.

Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 7:08PM
logan33(z6 OH)

It looks much like my Haemanthus albiflos. That's my guess.

John

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 7:01PM
Leafhead

I agree c H. albiflo.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 12:32AM
cocoabeachlorax

Just chiming in to say that this thread is fabulous, so interesting. Off to learn more about haemanthus albiflos.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
How do I ship Lg plant?
I'd like to send a large 2Gallon size plant to my brother...
houstonpat
clivia
I have a clivia , very large yellow for free if anyone...
lonemuchow
how old is this clivia?
Hello! I recently found out about these awesome plants...
jeffatlanta (7b, Atlanta, GA)
HELP! My clivia is dying!
I posted on Florida Gardening too, but wanted to post...
Kasima
Clivia Bulbs
My Clivias growing in my atrium have suddenly all started...
Steveareno
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™