it's blooming ---what now?

marricgardensJanuary 15, 2013

I have given my clivias the required cold period but hardly ever had blooms. Last year I lost my cold space and turned it into a sewing room. My clivias stayed in the coldest part of the house, about 17C, and one flowered in August. I have since moved some into my office, the same temp., and one is flowering right now. It is in a window but never gets direct sunlight because of the roof overhang. I did stop fertilizing at the end of July so I don't know what triggered it to flower. Should I still withhold the fertilizer or start fertilizing? I thought they needed the cold period to trigger flowering. Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I think you should fertilize now. Clivias are like their distant cousins, amaryllis (hippeastrum), and form their flowers 4-6 months before they emerge. I grow my clivias in a fast draining mix and fertilize year round. Use a fertilizer with a 3-1-2 NPK ratio with all trace elements if you can. Some clivias bloom every year without a cold and/or dry spell while others demand it. That is a genetic trait in my experience. But all clivias need fertilizing to bloom.

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 6:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

Thanks for the advice. Marg

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
clivias in trouble!
When we moved into our house about 5 years ago, the...
pol123
waterlogged rescue & gritty mix help please
Hello, I had 2 potted Clivia's that I inherited that...
GrnThmbInTrng
Care of young clivia
I recently purchased a Clivia Good Hope in a 4"...
elizabethk1
Disease or stress?
This is a clivia about 10-15 years old and it has started...
hudakore
has anyone ever tried growing a Clivia in coco peat?
I was curious. I have been using a griity soil for...
meyermike_1micha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™