when to harvest berries

eukofiosJanuary 20, 2008

Hi there,

I have a yellow clivia that was grown from seed from Park's seeds. It took about 5 years to bloom, and bloomed last summer. the berries are now turning yellow.

I am wondering now, how long can i leave the berries on the plant before harvesting. if possible I would like to start them in May.

Thanks for the advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craigr2006

Hi,

You can leave the berries on the plant for a while. Ideally, you will harvest them before the next bloom. If the berries stay on the plant too long, they can dry up. You might conisder picking in a few weeks and refrigerating the seeds until your desired time to germinate.

Good luck,
Craig
Sacramento, CA

Bookmark   January 20, 2008 at 10:40PM
bubba62

Very often I leave berries on the plant until they actually begin to germinate. Mine have never dried up on the plant, but I'm growing them in a relatively humid environment, at least during the ripening period. All of my plants naturally get a cooler rest period as the seeds are developing on the plant, so refrigeration of seeds has not been necessary, either. You'll see the berry darken a bit as it softens, and the radical (root) will begin to poke through the skin on one side. At that point the berries can be removed, the skin and pulp carefully removed, and the seedling planted in a small pot of freely draining mix.

Bookmark   January 21, 2008 at 4:39AM
eukofios

thanks, looks like the berries are staying on the plants for a while longer!

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 11:54PM
eukofios

Actually, looks like they are starting to sprout on the plant. These are on a plant of Sahin's Yellow that I started frm seeds in about 2002.

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 10:04AM
beetle_2007(3)

WOW!! Those seeds are way cool!! I only grew the regular orange flowered seed, and they turn red when they are ripe. this valentines day, I recieved a Golden DRagon from DH! [not in bloom, but perhaps next year.] Good job raiseing this Beauty!!

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 1:10PM
david_5311(Z 5b/6a SE Mich)

Can any of the experts out there suggest about how long after pollination it will be before the berries are ripe and ready to be harvested/seeds planted?

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 10:59AM
bambi_too(5 Ohio)

Now I have not harvested a single berry yet, but I suspect that they will be soft to touch. I was given some, and they would give when you squeezed them gently. It looks like the ones in the photo might be ready.

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 2:42PM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

I read somewhere else that it's about 9 months, and that's how long mine took to ripen.

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
Clivia gardenii With Two Scapes!
Just learned how to post photos on Gardenweb! Here...
palmfan
Clivia
how do I get my Clivia to bloom? It is huge. The pot...
josephene_gw
Care of young clivia
I recently purchased a Clivia Good Hope in a 4"...
elizabethk1
Should I divide this clivia
So this is my first clivia that I have. It's supposed...
SteveCorredor
clivia
I have a clivia , very large yellow for free if anyone...
lonemuchow
Sponsored Products
Indoor Black/ Ivory Floral Area Rug (7'10 x 10')
Overstock.com
18x18 Accent Pillow with Berry Tassel Trim
$72.95 | Bellacor
Ergohuman Executive Chair With Headrest in Gray
$624.00 | LexMod
Holcomb Queen Bedroom Set - WOOD - DR BROWN
$2,899.00 | Horchow
Copeland Furniture | Berkeley Floor Mirror
YLiving.com
Cupa Vino Ice Wine Glasses
Classic Hostess
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™