Repotting Clivia

annie1971January 4, 2009

I need to re-pot my Clivia and I'm not sure what type of potting soil is best for it (it's an indoor plant). The current soil seems too loose for it because the plant wants to fall to one side but I tend to keep it on the dry side. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craigr2006

Hi Annie,

Just about any mix will do. If you ask 10 Clivia growers what they use, you will probably get 20 answers. Most seem to use a mix with a fair amount of peat with some perlite. I've seen them growing in almost pure sand. More importantly, if you water frequently, you need a mix that drains quickly. If you water infrequently, then you want a mix that holds a bit of water, but not so much that it leads to rot. You can let the soil completely dry between waterings if you desire. Clivias hold a lot of water in their roots to survive these dry times. If the plant is leaning to one side, you might need to stake it or compact gently some more soil on the looser side. The roots might also be asymmetric, especially if this is a recent offset.

Hopefully this helps.

Take care,
Craig

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 12:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meyermike_1micha(5)

Craig , great advice...
Also your right about the soil suggestions. I know some that grow theirs in plane ole sand, yet some in coco peat, in compost, old leaf mold, in just spagnum peat long thread, and some in potting soil. Yet what they all have in common is that all mediums are well draining, not allowing the roots to stay wet for too long.
Thanks for your helpful advice all over this forum. I have learned a lot from you...Therefore in return I have over 30 healthy clivia...:-)
Thanks craig for all your advice and e-mail over the past year!
Keep healthy and happy!
Mike

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
has anyone ever tried growing a Clivia in coco peat?
I was curious. I have been using a griity soil for...
meyermike_1micha
Flowers clivia stuck in the middle
I have a problem. My clivia stopped in the middle of...
Lulu-dori
Clivia Leaves
Hi, Some background: In December, my clivia which was...
jmsnyc
My Clivias
here are my clivias. clivia miniata - orange color clivia...
bunti
Clivia Bulbs
My Clivias growing in my atrium have suddenly all started...
Steveareno
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™