Crown gall on Orange tree

Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZFebruary 4, 2012

This Navel orange tree that we've had has always been slow growing, and in some years, like this past year did not produce any fruits at all. I snapped a picture of its trunk.

That's crown gall on it right? I suspect that it is because a bunch of my oleander trees in my back yard had crown gall and I had to dig them out and dispose them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Yep, that's the dreaded crown gall. I am so sorry. Crown gall is insidious. There's not much you can do to cure or prevent this disease, once it has been introduced into your environment.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 9:59AM
citrange2

It's strange that none of the web-sites describing citrus diseases seem to mention crown gall. The only picture I could find was of a young citrumelo plant with symptoms.
Is it very unusual? Lots of photos of wasp galls!

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 12:17PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I don't think that it is very common with citrus. But those citrumelo images were not the only ones you've seen! There's an excellent picture of crown gall affecting an orange tree right in this very thread! ;-)

Raimeiken's citrus was made susceptible because of its location near the diseased oleander. Since we know that this bacterium is very easily transmitted via any tiny opening in the plant...pruning cuts, lenticels, insect damage, etc...the chances of this and almost any plant becoming infected is pretty good.

Some plants can live with an active infection for quite some time without breaking out in the 'tumors' we can recognize right away. However, the plants will usually be stunted and unproductive.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 11:26PM
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ

Yes unfortunately for me, I only learned about crown gall not too long ago. My oleanders have had it for years and I most likely spread it to this orange when I was pruning it with the same shears I used on the oleanders.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™