San Marcos Yellow

logan33(z6 OH)January 8, 2012

I bought a San Marcos Yellow this morning from an ebay seller. Not totally new to Clivia as I've had a couple of them for 6 or 8 years. One from Lowe's and a nice big variegated one from Wayside Gardens. Of course I don't know what varieties those two are due to the sources. They're such nice easy plants to grow, I decided I might like more of them. I suppose I should have asked this question before I bought but I sort of got caught up in the ebay thing lol. Is there anything good or bad anyone has to say about San Marcos Yellow? Thanks, John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I think you'll probably be happy with your choice. San Marcos Growers in California was among the first to produce yellow clivias in the states. The genetics of this strain include contributions from Dave Conway, one of the most productive clivia breeders in the US. Have you visited the San Marcos website? See: http://www.smgrowers.com/info/cliviayellow2.asp

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 7:32PM
logan33(z6 OH)

Thanks Ohiofem, I'll have to check out that site. Where in Ohio are you? I'm near Peninsula which is between Akron and Cleveland.

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 7:45PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I'm near Dayton at the other end of the state. Good to know there are other growers in Ohio. There is a group of Midwest clivia growers that used to meet each March, at blooming time. If I hear about another meeting I'll post information here.

Good luck with your new plant.

Bookmark   January 9, 2012 at 8:25PM
logan33(z6 OH)

Thanks Ohiofem for the "good luck"... I think I have the bug... now I ordered several new seedlings from the Clivia USA website and I'm also going to try my luck at growing from seed that's ripening on my variegated plant. When I find something I like I always seem to think I need many of them lol... definite collector personality. Happy growing! John

Bookmark   January 9, 2012 at 9:45PM
schifferle(5b NE Kansas)

I bought a San Marcos yellow on eBay, too. Glad to hear good things about it.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Old Clivias never do anything!
I live in S. Louisiana just north of New Orleans, zone...
jockewing
how old is this clivia?
Hello! I recently found out about these awesome plants...
jeffatlanta (7b, Atlanta, GA)
Spots on yellow Clivia
Hello all back in need of more help, I noticed these...
anrev1719
Clivia flower bud stuck!
Hello Everyone, It was 2 weeks ago I saw an orange...
qhslau
eBay Clivia Auction extended to Monday, Oct. 21
The dates for the North American Clivia Society Auction...
Ohiofem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™