What kind of Snake is this.... but don't tell Loving Wife

computergardener(z7 NC)May 12, 2008

Taking advantage of the recent rain, I was pulling a few large clumps of grass which were migrating into my vegetable garden. Since I compost, I get pretty huge worms occasionally and when I saw the body of this creature I thought it might be a worm and then I realize .... Not a worm.

The snake was very calm, I looked at him for a few minutes before putting him down in my natural area. After grabbing my camera and heading back out 3-4 minutes later, I was surprised to see he stuck around to let me get a photo. He let me snap a few and then I let him go his/her way.

Can anyone tell me what kind of snake this is? If you can not tell from the photos I would say it was 7-8" long. I need to know so I can decide whether to share my sighting with my lovely wife. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Headshot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamelask(z8a NC)

Was his belly a pinkish tan? He looks like a wormsnake to me, but it's a little hard to tell from that shot. They do look like oversized earthworms and tend to be fairly calm snakes, rather shy, actually. They are an indication you have great soil (lots of humus & worms), and are completely harmless. Do tell your wife.

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 3:44PM
computergardener(z7 NC)

I don't have a shot of the belly but here is another photo. Thanks for the compliment on the soil, it is something I work at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Side shot

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 4:19PM
rosebush(z7 NC)

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/pages/smoothearth.htm
Looks like this guy - had one in my garden last week.

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 4:44PM
aezarien(7b)

Cute little booger. Not sure from the photo but it doesn't appear to be venomous. Here is a link that displays a nice list with photos.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/sprsnakes.php

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 9:16PM
laurabs(7b)

http://www.herpsofnc.org/herps_of_NC/snakes/snakes.html

This is the site I like. I get worm snakes in my soil too, but mine are quick and thrash around when we try to pick them up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm snake multiple pics

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 12:00AM
tamelask(z8a NC)

They're funny- they are calm til you try to handle them. Then, if you curl your hands up so they form a ball in the dark they'll calm right back down again. They have a distinctive extra sharp looking pointed tail, and very narrow, small head. Your head doesn't look quite right- it may be the earth snake after all.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 10:22AM
wayne_mo(MO)

Its either a worm snake or an earth snake. Based on the side shot, I think its a worm snake.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 10:42AM
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

Cute little guy. I always find them fun! They may scare me if they ever pop out of nowhere, but they add a great mystery to the garden landscape.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 12:19AM
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

I used to think worm snakes were baby Red-Belly Water Snakes. There's an actual Red-Belly Water Snake living in one of my beds on the west side of my house, and I found another one, or the same one, hiding under the coils of hose near the well.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Dwarf Tomatoes - Anyone Growing Them?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
What's this cold doing to my Gardenias
I planted 2 Frost Proof Gardenia's last September....
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
Mushroom growing workshop?
Hi all, Is there any edible Mushroom growing workshop...
annanc14
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™