Neglected Henryi - Help!

tulipsmiles(6 South of Boston)March 15, 2009

Hello All,

I bought a house a little over a year ago. There is a Henryi Clematis growing up the chain link fence. It had very few blooms last year, infact only enough for me to do some research to identify it as such.

Now that Spring is upon us, can anyone offer some tips on care, and how/when I should prune it for best results.

Prior to us purchasing this house, it sat vacant for over a year, so this poor Hehryi has been quite neglected.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
valeriecg(USDAz 5,CO)

All is not lost! This is a wonderful clematis of pearly white that captures the light and almost glows. Prune the various vines back now to the first branching that is showing two growing buds, generaly found within the first 12 inches. Consider if the plant has received adequate moisture this winter and if not water. Here on the front range of Colorado I will give a first feeding in late March or early April, something with 3-12-12 proportions. If it is getting adequate sunlight on the vines with the roots mulched and kept cool, your clematis should respond with vigorous growth and many blooms for your enjoyment. Happy gardening!

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™