Is There Enough Sunlight in Seattle...

anitadehoff(Z8 Seattle/sunset 5)February 18, 2007

to get a clivia to flower?, or to live for that matter.

My parents got theirs to flower in NYC, they kept it in a hallway that had an old skylight with dirty clouded glass. But my memory of that hallway is much brighter than my Seattle home in winter. I have an African Violet that's doing okay. I tried orchids (phals and colm/wildcats), but they would slowly die until I put them under CFLs.

What's your opinion, TIA

Anita

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kalese(9)

I do have a clivia friend who lives in an apartment in Seattle. She does have a porch where she puts plants during warmer months of summer. Inside if you have good morning light that is somehwat filtered with blinds you should be able to have clivias bloom well.
mary

Bookmark   February 28, 2007 at 3:16PM
rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)

In my old apartment, I stuck my first clivia in a very dark corner, and it bloomed for me. All other things equal, I have found that the plants that get any direct light at all do not flower as well as the ones I keep in heavy shade.

Good luck!

Rick in CT

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 1:17PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I got my first Clivia when I visited my aunt in Seattle. I think of her frequently when it (actually three quite full pots now) blooms. Lugged it all over the country in various moves and had to learn to grow it all over again, in the mountains in southern Oregon, in northern Nebraska, and now in southern Louisiana. It/they hung in there in all those places obviously, but I'd have to adjust various things to get blooms. Very adaptable and rewarding plants!

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
Jack's Fertilizer 20-20-20 dosing
Hello, I would like to use this fertilizer but am not...
ValerieO77
Spots on yellow Clivia
Hello all back in need of more help, I noticed these...
anrev1719
Clivia
how do I get my Clivia to bloom? It is huge. The pot...
josephene_gw
clivia
I have a clivia , very large yellow for free if anyone...
lonemuchow
eBay Clivia Auction extended to Monday, Oct. 21
The dates for the North American Clivia Society Auction...
Ohiofem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™