Remove leaves from frost damaged citrus?

kmickleson(z9 CA)February 3, 2012

I transplanted a Meyer and 'regular' lemon in the fall from large containers previously protected by a west facing overhang here in SF Bay Area. I'm in a frost prone microclimate in Marin where we had an extreme number of night frosts in Nov-Dec, and I'd not covered them. Damage shows dried up fruit, and curled (tho not yet browned leaves...some fallen around the bushes, many still on it) leaves.

I researched here enough to know I should not water them (we've not had much rain since the frost), and to wait till Spring to see what happens. My question is: should I bother to remove the dried, curled leaves, or just ignore them while waiting to re-evaluate after Spring starts?

Thanks,

Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

I would take off the leaves and cut back any black branches; paint the cuts with white latex paint if you wish. Leaving the dead leaves provides Winter haven for spiders, mites, insect larvae, etc.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 8:40PM
kmickleson(z9 CA)

Thanks, John. I'll tackle that this weekend.

While I'm here, can I ask about drip? I know it's not ideal but my citrus are in mixed garden areas where other things (including roses) are on drip. The frequency of watering is generally adjusted depending on how hot it is in Spring/Summer. Can you offer any basic guidelines on managing this?

When they were in containers and facing the heat of the west, they were on frequent, often daily water. The emitters are an adjustable type.

Thanks,
Karen

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 9:26PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

If all danger of frost has passed, you can clean them up.
Otherwise, the dead tissue does offer some insulation value between the live and dead tissue.

Josh

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 10:03PM
johnmerr(11)

All my field trees are on drip irrigation; the issue is how long you let it run. Check the soil with a small soil augur or a small trowel to see that the soil is wet at least to 18 inches. My garden trees on the other hand are hand watered with a slow running hose once a week for deep watering. You could actually do both, if you like.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 10:07PM
brettay

I would recommend leaving them on until the danger of another frost is over. As mentioned above, they do offer a bit of protection.

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Sap on citrus leaves, but no insects
I have been studying the many comments regarding sap...
diekle
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Wish me luck - transplanted a 6-7 year old Golden Nugget
Planted too close to a bearss, the lime was towering...
serge94501
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™