how much sun?

marricgardensFebruary 5, 2010

I would like to move my clivias outside for the summer. We just made a shade garden for my hostas so I think I would like to move the clivias out there. The garden is under pines so it gets what I call dappled shade/bright shade. There is one spot that gets 3-4 hours bright, direct sun each day from noon to about 3 but is then shaded. I would like to move the clivias out there and put them in a plant stand. I can't put them on the ground because we have a gazillion baby bunnies out there, wild ones not ours. There is also a shadier spot where I could put them. Would it be best to put them in the sunny spot or the more shady area? Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meyermike_1micha(5)

NO DIRECT SUN...lol. Seriously though..:-0)

Dappled sunlight and shade are perfect areas...

Even morning sun and late afternoon sun can burn them, trust me...

Have a great weekend Marric..

Mike..:-)

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 5:24PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I would err on the shadier side, if you have a choice. One summer I put mine in what I believed to be a very shady spot and still a couple of leaves got "sunburn". Now I put them in full shade under evergreen trees, but sitting up on a plastic plant tray turned upside down, for better slug control. Being under the evergreens also prevented them from getting too much water in rainy weather. Clivias that stay indoors in the winter as houseplants are obviously more sensitive to the summer sun than clivias that live outdoors in California or Florida.

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 11:36AM
gloriosa321(8b)

shady areas with a little light is my preference for clivias.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 10:36PM
mariava7

How much(hours) of filtered light? Would 3-4 hours of this be enough to make the clivia develop flower buds for it's next blooming?

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 3:40AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

What do you mean? Where outdoors could you possibly put a plant that only gets 3-4 hours of light?

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 9:11PM
mariava7

The side of my house gets just bright light from the time the sun rises till around 9-10AM. Then it gets filtered sun from around 10-2 (4 hours). After that, it gets shaded by the house as the sun moves. So just bright light again after 2:00PM.

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 10:20PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Perfect..:-)

They will do very well indeed..Just watch for root or crown rot since most plants out of the sun have a tendency to dry out at a much slower rate....

Mike..:-)

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
has anyone ever tried growing a Clivia in coco peat?
I was curious. I have been using a griity soil for...
meyermike_1micha
clivia
I have a clivia , very large yellow for free if anyone...
lonemuchow
How do I ship Lg plant?
I'd like to send a large 2Gallon size plant to my brother...
houstonpat
Berries red..
Have a cliva with red berries, are they ripe, what...
rosegrowernb
My Clivias
here are my clivias. clivia miniata - orange color clivia...
bunti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™