seed maturing?

marricgardensFebruary 17, 2013

I have several clivia miniata. Most have flowered and the blooms were only about 1" across. The last one had blooms 2 1/2" across. It now has seed pods forming. How long til they are ready to pick? I know they have to be red. I thought I read somewhere that it takes about a year for them to mature, is that right? The clivia had about 15 blooms on it but not all of the spent blooms formed seed pods but there are still about 10. Will the plant be able to keep all of them or would I be better off taking some off? Do the seed pods split when they are ripe? I did a search and read about the damp paper towel method for germination, think I'll try that. I would really like to get more of these larger flowering ones plus the search is on for seeds for a yellow variety. Any advice about the seed maturity? Thanks. Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

It takes seeds on my clivias grown indoors at least 10 months to ripen to red. If the plant is healthy, 10 seed pods will not hurt the plant, so I would leave them on. I've had plants flower before the pods are ripe. There are usually at least two or more seeds inside each pod. Sometimes you will see a pod start to split. That usually means one of the seeds is starting to sprout inside. If that happens, you should remove all the pods and harvest the seeds inside. There's a helpful description with a video that shows how you remove the seeds from the pod on the Clivia USA website.

By the way, I don't know what the paper towel method is for clivia seeds. They take so long to sprout, I doubt that would work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preparing clivia seeds from Clivia USA

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 5:17PM
marricgardens

Thanks for the info and the link. Now I'm off to check it out!

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 6:33PM
Leafhead

How old does a plant have to be to produce viable seed without undue stress?

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 12:24AM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

When a clivia blooms and produces seeds, it is old enough. All of my clivias that produced seeds produced flowers the following year. If a clivia with berries starts to look unhealthy, I would remove the berries. But I've never had that happen.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 12:29PM
Leafhead

Great, Thanx for the info.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
Berries red..
Have a cliva with red berries, are they ripe, what...
rosegrowernb
Jack's Fertilizer 20-20-20 dosing
Hello, I would like to use this fertilizer but am not...
ValerieO77
Clivia Leaves
Hi, Some background: In December, my clivia which was...
jmsnyc
My Clivia Update -- 1.5 years in
I'm sort of embarrassed to post this. Back when I first...
Sugi_C
Care of young clivia
I recently purchased a Clivia Good Hope in a 4"...
lizkuntne
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™