'pinching' azaleas

benflowerMay 15, 2010

Does anyone "pinch" off the azalea blossoms after they have died? I remember one lady who I bought them from telling me to take the whole "cluster" off, down to the wood to make more blooms next year. Mine have finished blooming and are putting out new leaves.

Should I leave them alone or try the pinching method? It appears that if I do that I will be cutting off all the new growth.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tammy Kennedy

A lot of them are self grooming if you are patient- they eject the dead blossoms within a week or 2. The proper time to prune azaleas and many spring bloomers is shortly after they bloom since they set their flowers for the next yr's show on wood starting about midsummer. If it's scraggly and you're wanting to make it busier pinching would probably help. If it's too big and you want to scale it back in size, now's the time to take it back. If you're happy with the size and fullness, just let it be, unless the dead flowers bother you. Some varieties don't do as good a job of self grooming and may need some help. A rake over the surface is normally all it takes.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 7:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
benflower

thanks tamelask-- I think I'll just leave them be. Which I think is what most plants like anyway, as long as they are fed and watered. LOL)

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 4:58PM
More Discussions
Wanted: bamboo shoots from large bamboo
I'd like to harvest bamboo shoots from large bamboo(to...
lillon
Looking for some medium tomato ideas
I am not really interested in growing the biggest tomato....
minuet_7a
Is it difficult to grow dahlias in NC? Which are easier?
There are lists of most likely to succeed? But what...
thisbetty
Harvesting Japanese Persimmons
My 5-year old Fuyu persimmon tree has fruit on it for...
Ralph Whisnant
Potatoes in Raleigh
Can anyone recommend potato varieties to grow in Raleigh?...
kckmartin
Sponsored Products
Heavy Duty Center Open Traverse Curtain Rod
Overstock.com
Blue Ceramic Pottery Round Toilet Brush Holder in Assorted Colors
TheBathOutlet
Wild Chevron Throw
$119.99 | Dot & Bo
Fortuna Bronze 16" Wide Carlton Pleat Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Hampton Bay Low-Voltage White Pinch-Back Cylinder Track Lighting Fixture EC0538W
$18.47 | Home Depot
Cornet Clip Lamp Metal - Pink Rim - Tse & Tse
$199.00 | HORNE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™