Frost damage-sacrifice buds for health?

datura222February 19, 2013

A few of my newly planted clivias got some pretty bad frost damage (half the plant damaged in some cases) this past winter. 2 of the plants ctually have buds that I can see which might emerge. Should I sacrifce the buds so that the plants can have more energy to recover?

Thanks for any info :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monet_g

I would as it takes a lot of energy for the plant to bloom. I'd let the peduncle elongate a bit, though, so it doesn't sit deep in the crown and promote rot. Let it dry up naturally before removing it.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 9:36AM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I am in the same situation. Several of my adult clivias were accidentally exposed to 19 degrees F for a few hours around November 1. None died, but all lost the top half to two-thirds of the tips of their leaves. I participate in the clivia enthusiast email list and asked others for advice. Some experienced growers told me that their frost damaged clivias produced more blooms in the following season than they had before. Although my plants are indoors with only bright light, I have been amazed at the amount of new growth they have put on. Most have produced four full length healthy new leaves. Several are producing offsets. And just tonight, I noticed that one of my Solomone yellows that normally blooms in June is forming a flower.

I think the plant is fine and don't intend to remove the flower stalk. I feed my clivias every two weeks from January through October, and they are vigorous growers. I haven't seen growth slowed or subsequent flowering diminished by allowing them to produce seeds, so I don't think this frost damage has weakened them either. I may be wrong about this, but I am willing to take the chance.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 12:04AM
monet_g

Ohio,
Mia is concerned about landscape plants and is trying to get them established.
Gail

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 4:26PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Aah! That's different. Wish I could grow in the ground.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Is ID without flower possible?
I have this one section of my yard that has a bunch...
Sugi_C
Old Clivias never do anything!
I live in S. Louisiana just north of New Orleans, zone...
jockewing
How do I ship Lg plant?
I'd like to send a large 2Gallon size plant to my brother...
houstonpat
Should I divide this clivia
So this is my first clivia that I have. It's supposed...
SteveCorredor
has anyone ever tried growing a Clivia in coco peat?
I was curious. I have been using a griity soil for...
meyermike_1micha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™