Lemon yield

vikingboy2013February 3, 2012

I just planted two 5ft tall lemon trees in my yard in central Mexico. How many lemons do lemon trees yield in a year if well cared for? And what kind of fertilizer is best for them, other than citrus fertilizer since I can't find it here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vikingboy2013

Also I noticed that the trees only have three or four branches starting from the trunk. They don't look very tree like and I would like for them to be bushier and not as upward growing but have a rounder shape. They are not in bloom yet and I was wondering if I could prune or pinch them at this time to encourage them to have bushier growth.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 9:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Well, Viking, for starters we should know what kind of lemon you planted; and it would help if we knew what rootstock it is on; and maybe what kind of soil you have.
As for pruning, most all citrus can be pruned for shape to make it look like you want it to look; i.e., you can make into Viking's tree, not nature's tree.

Fertilizer... generally citrus like a ratio of 5-1-3 Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium; that might change a little depending on the variety of lemon and the type of soil you have. If you can't find a fertilizer with that type ratio or something close, you can always use 15-15-15, or even just Urea in the first year or so; but urea won't sustain good production.
If you can post pictures of your trees that also helps; there are lots of smart people here who can help you with almost any problem.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
New leaves - possible too much watering?
Hi! New member here. I haven't had a chance to go back...
springddd
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™