Lemon yield

vikingboy2013February 3, 2012

I just planted two 5ft tall lemon trees in my yard in central Mexico. How many lemons do lemon trees yield in a year if well cared for? And what kind of fertilizer is best for them, other than citrus fertilizer since I can't find it here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vikingboy2013

Also I noticed that the trees only have three or four branches starting from the trunk. They don't look very tree like and I would like for them to be bushier and not as upward growing but have a rounder shape. They are not in bloom yet and I was wondering if I could prune or pinch them at this time to encourage them to have bushier growth.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 9:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Well, Viking, for starters we should know what kind of lemon you planted; and it would help if we knew what rootstock it is on; and maybe what kind of soil you have.
As for pruning, most all citrus can be pruned for shape to make it look like you want it to look; i.e., you can make into Viking's tree, not nature's tree.

Fertilizer... generally citrus like a ratio of 5-1-3 Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium; that might change a little depending on the variety of lemon and the type of soil you have. If you can't find a fertilizer with that type ratio or something close, you can always use 15-15-15, or even just Urea in the first year or so; but urea won't sustain good production.
If you can post pictures of your trees that also helps; there are lots of smart people here who can help you with almost any problem.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
Sour orange cutting
The second of four cuttings I tried is showing new...
tim45z10
Cuban Shaddock, a dwarfing rootstock? I doubt it
It is difficult to find information about this rootstock...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
KinnowLS, XieShan, Dekopan in CA.
Anyone know where these can be purchased or ship to...
cebury
BUGS 17 :-)
HI all 16 had over 300 post so started this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Meyer leaves issue
Hello, My container meyer is having issues. Leaves...
eshieh1
Sponsored Products
Granite Countertop Rejuvenator
$15.50 | FRONTGATE
MaxLite RR40930W 4 inch can LED Retrofit, 3000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Spada I Shallow Drop by CX Design
$670.00 | Lumens
Elk Lighting Lemon Orchard Bookends - 93-5623
$60.00 | Hayneedle
Citrus Tool Set
$9.99 | zulily