cinnamon as a fungicide?

marricgardensMarch 2, 2010

Please ignore my last post, it was supposed to be fungicide not fertilizer! I was wondering about this because I noticed one of my clivias has the brown

'streak' starting on a leaf. I use cinnamon as a fungicide on my seedlings so was wondering if it would work on clivias. Has anyone ever tried this? Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meyermike_1micha(5)

Let's try again..:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: cinnamon use..

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 3:32PM
winnjoe(MTL)

I read this in a yahoo group for Adenium:

''Cinnamon has been shown to be an effective fungicide and bactericide. A 1993 article in Organic Gardening magazine recommends 4 teaspoons in a gallon of water. Also, it makes your plants smell good!

''However, almost all of the cinnamon sold in the USA and Canada is actually the bark of another tree, Cinnamomum cassia and others, not true cinnamon Cinnamomum verum (syn. C. zeylanicum) from Ceylon (Sri Lanka). Since the literature I've found originated in the USA, I presume that the fungicidal stuff is cassia powder. I don't know whether true cinnamon has the same properties.'' Mark Dimmitt (an expert)

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 11:12PM
marricgardens

I use it on my seedlings with good results. I have tried it on one of my clivias to see how it worked. I've noticed that on 2 of my clivias, the bottom leaves are starting to turn yellow. Don't know if that is a sign of ageing or a fungus. I have to look that up. Marg

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 7:42AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Aging most likely..:-)

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
Clivia Leaves
Hi, Some background: In December, my clivia which was...
jmsnyc
Clivia Bulbs
My Clivias growing in my atrium have suddenly all started...
Steveareno
Clivia
how do I get my Clivia to bloom? It is huge. The pot...
josephene_gw
clivias in trouble!
When we moved into our house about 5 years ago, the...
pol123
My Clivias
here are my clivias. clivia miniata - orange color clivia...
bunti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™