Has anyone bought or seen Sweet Summer Love?

davesselsMarch 29, 2014

I have ordered two, they should arrive in a few weeks, I am just wondering if anyone has seen one in bloom or if you have ordered one. I love SAC, it is perfect for me here, no problem being invasive so far, dependable, love everything about it, so I hope Sweet Summer Love is as impressive.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
true_blue(Mtl Can Zone 4b)

Hi, I ordered one last year. I don't know if it survived or not, as it is under a ton of snow yet :)
It was a mail order plant around 4 inches high. I didn't see much of growth. Slugs seemed to like it bit, as it was a young plant.
It's a good thing you ordered two. You can try them in different locations and test them.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 10:23AM
opheliathornvt zone 5

Please post and let us know how they grow - I'm dying for one. I ordered one last year, but after waiting months, I became convinced that it would arrive too late to plant, and cancelled.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 9:29AM
davessels

Thank you for the replies. I ordered from a Nursery I have ordered from before and they are good on their guarantee. I will post picks as soon as it starts blooming. I hope we will not all be dissappointed. Debra

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 8:17PM

Debra, if you've ordered from a mail order nursery don't expect any flowers till year two or 3. You know how they are: They sleep, creep and leap :-)

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 11:02AM
davessels

Yes true-blue, I have some that bloom one or two blooms the first year, and some that just sit. I will let you know, as all of my SAC that I have ordered from this company have bloomed the first year, maybe I will be lucky. I hope I do not have unreal expectations on this one. I will post a pic if I should get some summer or fall blooms. Thank you, Debra

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 11:41PM

My only clematis, which bloomed the first year, was also Sweet Autumn. It was a first!

It might be possible that your's might flower, given you have a longer growing season. But in my experience, least expectation is the easiest way of gardening. :-)

Keep us posted, anyway. I'll write somewhat later, around June probably to post about my SSL...

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 11:05AM
davessels

Sweet Summer Love arrived today, with a brown stem already which is a good sign for me. I never plant Clematis until the stem is brown or hardened at least 8 inches. I have learned alot the hard way. Yes, true-blue, my season is much longer than yours, most of my Clems are almost 24" already and several have a bloom bud or two. I will post pictures as soon as they start blooming.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 11:00PM

Great. I'm looking forward to your pictures :-)

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
Need advice/insight on my Clematis
I'm in Zone 5/6, Pennsylvania. So I bought this Clematis...
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
armandii: promise me it's *really* big?
My bedroom window is effectively three stories high...
Kristin
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
ianrtaylor
Need 2 clematis that go well together
Hello. I am putting in a new trellis that gets full...
suz9601
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™