My Lemon & Satsuma seedlings are growing great -what next? Newbie

houseostyleFebruary 1, 2011

I am new to growing - I just started growing Lemon & satsuma trees with a germination station & heat mat I received for Christmas. I have 72 seedlings and I'm not sure about the next transplant step.. What pots do I need to purchase? I really want a carry tray with pots but I don't know what to buy or where to buy it. I saw some skinny but deep tall tree pots but the cheapest I could find online was .55 each + shipping for a minimum of 90.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

Nice mini orchard you have there! I would go ahead and move some of the bigger ones to 3 or 4 inch pots. Just be sure the roots have filled most of the soil they are in now so you dont risk damage when you pull them out.

what are your plans for all those little guys.

Mike

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 11:53AM
houseostyle

Okay Thanks I wasn't sure when to transplant them. Some have two sprouts from the seed. What do I do in this case? Do I cut off or try to seperate one?
My plans are to grow them until they are big enough to give to family & friends & trade or sell the rest. I really didn't think I would have this successful germination rate. I was expecting maybe 10 seeds would grow boy am I surprised.

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 12:26PM
don_in_ct

Hello Houseostyle,

If you live in Louisiana, you are in a citrus growing state, so you need to be very careful about where they end up going. Selling them in your area is probably not legal. See the web link for more details. Citrus greening disease has resulted in quarantines as this announcement shows:

USDA ANNOUNCES QUARANTINE TO PREVENT SPREAD OF CITRUS DISEASE
WASHINGTON, June 17, 2010 - The U.S. Department of Agriculture�s Animal and Plant
Health Inspection Service (APHIS) is issuing an interim rule announcing a plant quarantine in
several states and territories in the United States to stop the spread of citrus greening, a plant
disease that greatly reduces citrus production, destroys the economic value of the fruit and can
kill trees. The interim rule replaces all previous federal orders related to citrus greening, expands
areas under quarantine, allows additional treatment options and provides exemptions for certain
fully processed products, such as curry leaves and kaffir leaves.
The interim rule is placing under quarantine the states of Florida and Georgia, the territories
of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, two parishes in Louisiana and two counties in South
Carolina due to the presence of citrus greening. It also imposes quarantine restrictions for the
Asian citrus psyllid, a carrier of the bacterial pathogen that causes citrus greening, on the states
of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas, and on the territories of
Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The restrictions for the insect also extend to
portions of three other states: three entire counties in South Carolina, three entire counties and
portions of three others in California and portions of one county in Arizona.

Here is a link that might be useful: Information about Citrus greening and quarantines

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 3:29PM
destin_gardener(8-B/9-A)

The tall ones on the right in the picture look like tri-foliate orange to me. The USDA takes citrus greening very seriously.

Bookmark   February 18, 2011 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Omari satsuma in the desert
I'm debating on getting an Owari Satsuma (OS) but live...
zwoydziak9bsunset13
Advice on pruning lemon
Hello all. I have a lemon tree (pictured) that was,...
mattlody
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Unsure about the health of my Meyer Lemon..
Hello all! I have dwarf Meyer Lemon plant that I bought...
barbl
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™