Planting time for SoCal?

aimeekitty(9-10, SW 18)March 8, 2010

I have a new garden... it seems most stores have best stock in spring (about now or next month) but many online advice posts say it's best to plant in fall (to give them time to establish before summer?)

Should I really wait till this fall to plant...?

much thanks, I know nothing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
unprofessional(5)

You can plant in spring with no issues - clematis just respond well to spending a winter in ground.

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 10:01PM
gardengal48

Just pay close attention to watering during their first summer. And you do know to plant these vines deeper in the ground than they are in their nursery pots?

ps. I plant clematis all year long, whenever I have a new plant or am in the mood :-)

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 9:29AM
aimeekitty(9-10, SW 18)

how much deeper should I plant it? one of the sites was saying if there's poor drainage that I should plant it higher...

my soil is dry but very clay, so it doesn't drain fast, so I'm not sure. We have some drainage in, but the soil is still clay-y.

Much thanks you guys! :) I guess I'll order a few I've been obsessing over, then.

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 2:53PM
gardengal48

Planting deeply in heavy clay soils does pose a problem. You run the risk of creating a 'bucket' of enriched soil that just holds water......something that clematis (and a great many other plants) abhor.

Although I have not done it with clems, I'm don't see why you couldn't and that is to follow planting instructions for other plants when dealing with poorly draining clay soils -- dig out a wide but shallow planting hole, place your vine's rootball and then mound up with soil all around, creating a small berm or raised planting area. You would still want to make sure the vine was planted deeper than it was in the container - at least 2-4 inches deeper is recommended. This is to ensure the development of a strong root system and encourage more shoot development from the root crown, providing greater resistance to wilt. You just want to mound and firm the soil to the proper height.

An alternative is to plant in containers or use raised beds.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 12:03PM
aimeekitty(9-10, SW 18)

That sounds good to me! Thankyou! :) Put my order in today!

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
transplanting ?
My friend is getting rid of (throwing away) a clem...
sorie6
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™