26 degress tonight should I be worried

sandyl(Zone 6B -7)March 25, 2013

I have several of my clematis, Ramona and Crystal Fountain that I prunned lightly about a month ago and tonight the temp is suppose to get down to around 26degress, these two clematis has already set bloom buds, I can't recall over the years if 26 degress have ever hurt them before, should I try to cover them up or should they be ok? I just can't remember at what tempature should I not worry about them.. I have 25 plus but these two are the only ones that have aready set bloom buds.. They are both on trellis's that I guess I could wrap a blanket around. For some reason I'm thinking 18 to 20 degress they should still be fine within covering up. What do some of you do when buds are set and a cold front comes through? The other's I have placed 5 gal buckets over because they are hard prunned down low enough to cover with buckets.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

If you are certain they are flower buds, then I would consider covering the plant with some lightweight material like Remay, aka harvest cloth. FWIW, I have a number of clematis that produce early flower buds and bloom without concern for late frosts or freezes but they are not type 2's.

I am always in a bit of awe at folks who report their type 2 clematis blooming or getting ready to bloom at this time of year........they will not be doing anything here until well into May, perhaps even June depending on type and siting.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
armandii: promise me it's *really* big?
My bedroom window is effectively three stories high...
Kristin
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Sponsored Products
Jive Highback Office Chair in White
$199.00 | LexMod
Agate Ceiling Lamp Antique Black Gold
ModernistLighting.com
Dutailier Modern Glider - Espresso & Velvet Taupe - 64A200-69-3091
$329.98 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Handmade Paradise Light Blue Wool Runner (2'6 x 12')
Overstock.com
Progress Lighting Lighting Transformers 600-Watt Landscape Lighting Transformer
Home Depot
Equino Bar Stool
Grandin Road
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™