Pairing with Gillian Blades: the President or Vyvyan Pennell

tulipsmiles(6 South of Boston)March 1, 2010

I have a Gillian Blades that is so pretty and I'd like to plant another Clematis next to her so that it can compliment her colors. My Gillian Blades has a pronounced light purple stripe on each flower petal, and I thought a darker purple next to it, would bring that out.

I believe GB is a pruning group 2, so I'd like to stick to having another Group 2, when planting one beside her.

What are your thoughts between The President or Vyvyan Pennell? Does anyone have any opinion either way? Or negative experience with either of these that may make me sway one way or the other?

I'm zone 6 MA.

Thanks for any input to help me make up my mind.

Tulipsmiles

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I have Multi-Blue with mine. The dark blue combo with Gillian Blades is nice.

I don't grow either of your choices so I can't comment on them.

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 10:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

It is always a confusion how different folks perceive colors, but I'd have to say that both your choices tend more towards blue than purple. Or at least not a deep purple :-) Having said that, there are very few truly purple (or at least how I interpret purple) type II clems. The really rich purple colored ones tend to be centered in the type III group.

'Burma Star' may be a choice - it seems to have a much richer, more intense purple (less blue) coloring than most others.

FWIW, don't put too much stock in photos of these plants. Colors in photos tend not to be very true to life, especially with the purply-blue shades.

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 1:30PM
More Discussions
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™