Can I root cuttings now?

kimpa(z6b PA)March 12, 2012

Has anyone rooted the prunings that are cut off many clemitis? I broke off by mistake a length of beautiful emerging foliage. Will roots come out of the leaf nodes? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peggiewho(z9 Ca)

Yes, that is where it would root if the cutting isn't too green. I haven't tried rooting clematis before but just took a cutting a couple of days ago to try in my cloning machine. I took a long cutting 3 or 4 nods. I cut it just below the bottom nod and striped the leaves off of it. I then cut the top off, too green. So I have a T shaped cutting with a stripped nod and a leafy one at the top. If it doesn,t root I will try again when the growth is a little older. Nothing is a more vigorous grower then a clematis so I have faith it is only a matter of time. Last year I rooted other vines in soil. I used closed plastic containers and pinned the vines on top of damp potting soil and put under a light with bottom heat. There are lots of warm places like on top of the refrigerator or computer tower. I would not let a good piece of foliage go to waste.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 7:20AM
More Discussions
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™