Unusual thing in my garden

bob414(USDA 9, Sunset 15)March 1, 2010

My Clematis Vienetta stayed green all winter in spite of a couple of hard freezes (low 20's) that killed some plants that had survived for several years. It's been blooming since early February but the blooms are green, even greener than they appear in the picture.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Fairly common for early blooms. I've even had purple clems do it.

Bookmark   March 2, 2010 at 11:12AM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Yep seen the same thing on several clematis that are exposed to cool temps. during bud development in the early spring. Have even seen it on clematis that flower late in the fall as well.

Another possibility is that you don't have what you think you have. Of course, if it has bloomed with the appropriate color previously this wouldn't be the issue.

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 6:46PM
bob414(USDA 9, Sunset 15)

I have others that have early blooms that are green but the unusual thing is that Vienetta stayed green (and growing) all winter and bloomed in early February. Usually it dies back and I prune it to the first bud unions. I didn't word my original post to mean what I intended. The first blooms of Duchess of Edinburgh are always part green and sometimes almost entirely green, sometimes greener than the bloom on the left here:

Bookmark   March 4, 2010 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™