clivia seed.

dennisoo7April 30, 2008

hello,

i often see poor quality clivia seed for sale on ebay,does that mean i would get poor quality plants?.

thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bambi_too(5 Ohio)

I got some nice plants out of some I bought last year, so no you can't go by that. I really don't understand why Lily and Wu Jin call them poor quality.

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 9:00PM
object16

She just doesn't want to misrepresent. I bought some nice quality ones from Lily, and I've now got about 60 seeds leafed out, from 110 seeds, and I'm waiting for the rest to leaf out. So far only 3 seeds have died.

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 9:41AM
craigr2006

Hi,

The Chinese have a pretty strict quality rating system of their Clivias. They judge the parents based on leaf structure, shape, size, color, variegation, symmety, etc. Most of the Clivias in the USA would qualify as "poor quality." In the USA, we tend to be more interested in flowers. They have a few amazing flowers, but most of their efforts have been into leaves, while most of the western world's efforts have been into the flowers.

Lily is very respected. The "poor quality" label is not that the seeds are in bad shape, just that you will most likely get an average oranges.

Good luck with your seedlings.

Craig
Sacramento, CA

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 10:36AM
dennisoo7

thanks craig that makes sense.

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 6:08PM
dennisoo7

hi craig,i was just reading the cliviaforum.co.za and this is what they said This is a picture I took today showing some nice seedlings grown from poor looking seeds of Chinese clivia with orange flowers x semi-broad leaf yellow clivia (pollen parent)

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 7:49PM
grammabois

I just purchased a clivia plant from one of my neighbors. She said it is 8 years old. It had two blossoms this year and now I have some green seeds on the plant.

Please tell me when these can be harvested. I am very excited about my new plant.

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 1:31PM
pha52m(8/Vancouver)

This year,again, I have lots of seeds to give away to interested Clivia fans.You must be Canadian or have a canadian address .to get the seeds .I have many types
and strains of Clivia but I only have Broad leaf Belgium
Hybrid seeds for distribution.Please e-mail me if you
are interested .Take care
My e-mail address :pha52m@yahoo.com

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 1:27AM
More Discussions
Clivia Leaves
Hi, Some background: In December, my clivia which was...
jmsnyc
clivias in trouble!
When we moved into our house about 5 years ago, the...
pol123
Is ID without flower possible?
I have this one section of my yard that has a bunch...
Sugi_C
has anyone ever tried growing a Clivia in coco peat?
I was curious. I have been using a griity soil for...
meyermike_1micha
Should I divide this clivia
So this is my first clivia that I have. It's supposed...
SteveCorredor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™