Lighting, flowering frequency, seed sites, etc...

rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)April 6, 2007

I just noticed this section of the GardenWeb, which must be somewhat new? I have been growing clivia as an amateur for about 20 years, and have starting to accumulate more clivia of different types over the past several years.

I have found that clivia thrive on being ignored for the most part. Mine have done best when I put them in heavy shade during the summer months, with 'normal' watering and feeding, but they are definitely LOW light plants. Most of mine spend the summer on a north-facing porch. In the winter, I have found that the best blooming is from those that are in the darker corners, away from direct light.

I have had flower heads that self-destruct because they don't get out of the crown. Most of these have been on plants where it is somewhat warmer and brighter than the successful bloomers. Of course I want the seeds! I start lots of little plants and give them away, so more people will get into clivia appreciation!

I just bought a few variegated plants from a very good and reasonably-priced supplier in China, plus seed for yellow Daruma type clivia. If you would like contact info, go to my member page and email me directly. eBay can be a good source for plants and seed too.

There are a number of clivia clubs too. I know there is one forming here in Eastern CT...

Happy growing!

Rick in CT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dries(South Africa)

Hi Rick,
Welcome. Thanks for your contribution!!
Normally the flowering in the base occurs when they flower out of season.
Refer my website below. Please stay in touch.
Dries

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 9:12AM
rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)

Hi Dries--I think the flowering problem is related to insufficient coolness in the winter. It gets as low as C12*, but I have no problems with the plants that get ~C10* with lower winter light in another area. Yeah, I live like a penguin!

I was unable to access your web site via the GW link. Can you send it to me directly?

Thanks!

--Rick

Bookmark   April 14, 2007 at 11:38PM
dries(South Africa)

Just trying the link to my website again/
Dries

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
Berries that stay green?
In the years that I had no inclination to germinate...
Ddruck
Is ID without flower possible?
I have this one section of my yard that has a bunch...
Sugi_C
waterlogged rescue & gritty mix help please
Hello, I had 2 potted Clivia's that I inherited that...
GrnThmbInTrng
Berries red..
Have a cliva with red berries, are they ripe, what...
rosegrowernb
Clivia
how do I get my Clivia to bloom? It is huge. The pot...
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™