are clematis perennials?

Desirai(7B)March 4, 2013

....in zone 7, Alabama?

My mom bought a clematis at lowes for $1.50 cause it was dead, I bought it back to life :D

anyway, it has tiny purple flowers. It bloomed maybe a dozen times, and then it turned brown and crispy in November, I haven't pruned or anything.

Do you think it's still alive? should I have pruned it? It was only maybe a foot tall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Yes, clematis are perennials. If it is still in the pot you can cut it back and plant it 2-3 inches deeper than the level of the pot.

Do you have a photo to post of it in bloom or a plant label so we can give more specific advice?

Clematis on the Web has lots of photos to help with identification.
Also Brushwood Nursery has clematis divided into large bloom and small bloom and you might find your clematis there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Flowering Clematis

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 2:41PM
Desirai(7B)

http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/small-flowered-clematis-4/clematis-bonanza-547.html?zenid=d7e4ea825227018649292ac53a9b2410

this looks the closest to it. Sorry I don't have the tag anymore, I planted it in the ground a few months back. Fire Ants have built a nest around the base of it, will they hurt it?

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 3:01PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

It has been suggested on this forum that the first two years to cut back hard for both Pruning 2 and Pruning 3 clematis. Some people will cut back pruning 2s every year. They just lose some of the early spring bloom and get blooms later.

Bonanza is a prune 3 which is cut back every year. Since you are not sure of your variety I suggest you take photos of it in bloom this year and post them here. Someone might be able to verify that it is Bonanza or make another suggestion.

Sorry, I have no advice on fire ants. Fortunately we do not have fire ants in MN.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 7:06PM
Desirai(7B)

no fire ants?? lucky!! what do you mean by 2 and 3?

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:59PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Pruning is varied for clematis. There are three basic pruning groups. Some label them A, B, and C. Mostly we talk about 1, 2, and 3 instead of lettering.

There is lots of info about clematis on the Web. Here is a link to get you started.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning clematis

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 1:31AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

gardengal wrote a good explanation about pruning on this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: ID question--with pruning info

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
transplanting ?
My friend is getting rid of (throwing away) a clem...
sorie6
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™